7.13.2009

Beautiful...

This is Dayton Oaks. This is where each of my children have spent time are are going too. Each year that my kids go, they come back a little "different" (in a good way), a little bit more mature, a little bit more appreciate and lots of smiles and conversations about the time they spent there. This is one of the paths, in the woods, to one of the cabins and it is beautiful, peaceful and it makes you feel as if time could "stand still". I drove Courtney down yesterday...nearly 300 miles, round trip...

This is the lodge, where they have all of their meals. It was so neat, the first year that Jordan and Courtney went, it was 3 summers ago. They went together to "Hogan Camp", meaning a covered wagon type (wilderness, etc...). Each child had a designated day, where they had to get up and make all the rest of the kids, in their area, breakfast. They were supervised of course, but none the less, an experience they took with them.

In the wilderness camp, they cooked over open fire and had to take turn washing dishes, etc.... If you ask me, every kid should go to a camp like that. I never did get to go to a camp as a kid. So, I am living my children's experience's through them...

This is one of the cabin's...the one that Courtney is at right now, to be exact. There is a counselor or two, that stays with them at all times and noone can walk around by themselves (safety in numbers). There are over 400 acres here and if somone would get lost, well it might just take quite a while to find them.

Hubby had to work, so I drove Courtney down with Jordan and Sydney. Jordan was able to go twice this year and the couple that manage the place, where giving Jordan a hard time...saying he might as well just stay. *smirk* They enjoyed having him there and Jordan continues to tell me how much he loves it there...

A picture I snapped, while we were waiting there. I will go and pick Courtney up on Friday and then back there on Sunday, to drop Sydney off. She has never stayed there...this will be her first time. Her being a "small-fry", will only stay until Tuesday. Yes, lots of running, but it is an experience that they can take with them and will last a lifetime.

I finished a NEW handmade! Something very different for me and am very pleased with the way it turned out. Once I finish editing pictures, I will show you. I am going to schedule Hector for ebay. Ta-ta for now, ~Tonya

3 comments:

softinthehead said...

I remember my days at camp as being some of the happiest. Of course when I went to camp, back in the 50's, it was definitely "shades of the Parent Trap" (camp like they had in the movie)...I'm still in touch with some of my camp-ites. You're right Tonya they do come back a bit different, in a good way! Thank you for taking me back and letting me get a tad nostalgic....

Denni said...

What a beautiful camp! I love it! I'm headed to camp with our young womens group from church the first week in aug.

PEA said...

Ah yes, I remember camp and I went to horse camp where all I did well mostly what I did was ride horses and one week I did boating camp. Oh what a great time that was. I loved every minute with the horse and camp fire. I said when I grew up I wanted to live in the woods and I do. Although our cabins had no doors and one year we scared the death out of some poor bear cub after he woke us up. 4 little girls with eagle screams you can only imagine. Daddy used to tease me and say I took years off that poor bear from my scream. I know the whole camp heard us! LOL
Yes, T thanks for the jog down the old memory banks. What a lovely time it was.
Hugs,Pea